What is housing disrepair?

If you are occupying a council, social housing or housing association unit, your landlord is legally obligated to guarantee that it’s habitable and in good working condition.

Housing disrepair is when a rented property deteriorates or requires repairs so that it is safe and suitable to live in, it is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure a reasonable living standard is met.

Housing disrepair usually consists of the following issues:

  • mould or damp problems
  • pest infestations
  • leaks & water damage
  • broken heating systems
  • faulty electrical wiring
  • internal deterioration
  • damaged gutters, drains & pipes
  • structural issues
  • broken kitchen & bathroom fittings
Instant Claim Calculator


client 4

Wayne B

Housing Association Tenant

client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4

Couldn’t leave any clothes in any of the bedrooms due to dampness and mould, our clothes, possessions & electronics were ruined and not to mention the huge amounts of stress this caused over the years. I am so grateful for your help with getting my property repaired for me & the financial compensation awarded to me has changed my life. Thank you so much

Ashley Y

Council Tenant

We had been waiting for 12 months for the damp to be repaired by the council but got nowhere. We were told by a friend that this company could help and within 6 months we received compensation for damages & all the damp and mould was removed.

Liam M

Council Tenant

My flat was repaired in time for my child’s birth and I received rent refunds and compensation. The team were very helpful and understanding of my dangerous situation.

What are landlords responsible for?

Landlords are required to provide prompt and effective repairs on your property, as part of their responsibility for maintaining a safe living environment. Such repairs include:

  • Your property’s structure and exterior, such as the roof, walls and windows
  • Sanitary fittings such as baths, sinks and basins, this also includes pipes and drains
  • Heating and water systems
  • Gas appliances
  • Ventilation
  • Electrical wiring

As your landlord, they can’t charge you for any of the repairs listed above. These are their responsibility no matter what your tenancy agreement states. Of course, if both parties agree to it and depending on the terms of your tenancy agreement, they may be liable for additional repairs as well.

When can I make a housing disrepair claim?

If your landlord refuses to address repairs that are their responsibility, you can take legal action against them.

To be eligible to make a claim you must have informed your landlord about the disrepair, you will need to provide evidence and we can assist you with this process. If your landlord has failed to make a repair within reasonable time limits then you can claim against them.

Whether you are a current tenant or have already moved out, housing disrepair claims must be reported to your landlord within 6 years of the notice date. Personal injury cases require filing within 3 years following notification. Don’t miss out on receiving justice for any damage caused; make sure that all claims are filed in their appropriate timeframes!

It’s important to note that your landlord may not be responsible for repairs including repair faults if they are a result of you either not taking care of the property properly or doing something unreasonable. We currently do not accept private landlord claims, as a rule of thumb if you have used a letting agent or your landlord is an individual we may not be able to assist you.

Find out if you’re eligible to file a NO WIN, NO FEE disrepair claim today.

What can I claim for?

When it comes to disrepair claims, the court can demand that your landlord performs repairs. In addition to this, you may be compensated for a variety of reasons, such as:

Damage to belongings – If you have experienced any loss of property or personal items due to the negligence of your landlord, then you are eligible for financial remuneration. Furthermore, if anything is damaged during repairs that were carried out by your landlord themselves, they will be held responsible and need to provide compensation.

Financial loss – If you have suffered financial loss as a result of your landlord failing to carry out repairs then you can claim for this. Note if you are in rent arrears this will impact your outcome.

Personal injury – If you have sustained an injury due to your landlord’s negligence, then it is possible for you to make a personal injury claim. This may include medical issues connected with mould and damp, injuries resulting from tripping or slipping hazards, carbon monoxide poisoning, as well as other forms of harm. Allow us to help you obtain medical records and the necessary expert evidence in order for court action proceedings can take place swiftly and efficiently.

Inconvenience – compensation for inconveniences such as general disruption to your daily life, not being able to use your home or having to wait for repairs to be carried out.

How do I make a claim for housing disrepair?

Our team is experienced in handling claims against councils, local authorities, social housing and housing associations. Unfortunately we are unable to accept cases from tenants concerning private landlords at this time.

The process of making a claim against your landlord is difficult, which is why you will need the help of a legal expert. If you wish to make a claim then the first thing that you should do is speak with a professional about your situation to find out whether your case meets the criteria for a claim.

Before filing a claim concerning housing conditions, you must adhere to the Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Conditions Claims. This protocol sets out specific steps that need to be taken in order for your claim to move forward; failure to follow these guidelines may have consequences during proceedings down the line. Such measures include attempting Alternative Dispute Resolution, sending a letter of claim to your landlord and asking them for essential paperwork relevant to your case.

If your landlord does not adequately address the concerns of your claim letter, you can take legal action by filing a petition with the county court.

How can we help with housing disrepair claims?

We know that living with housing disrepair can be a stressful and frustrating experience that can put the health and safety of you and your family at risk, that’s why we are here to support you. Our team of lawyers specialise in housing law and are experts when it comes to dealing with disrepair cases as well as personal injury claims. With their expertise, you can get the help and compensation that you deserve.

Given the intricacy of housing disrepair cases, it is prudent to seek legal advice. We specialize in this domain and understand precisely how to ensure a successful claim based on any issues concerning repairs. With our expertise in handling such matters, we are your ideal partners for winning the case!

Let us conduct a preliminary assessment of your case to establish the facts and see if you are eligible for lodging a housing disrepair claim. Following this, our legal experts can promptly give sound advice with regard to what actions need to be taken next. Should you choose to move ahead with filing your complaint, we will support throughout the entire process – from adhering strictly to pre-action protocols through amassing all documentation needed up until we represent you during the hearing itself.

Our solicitors will be there for you throughout the entire process. For more information about the services that we offer, contact our team today on 0333 090 3068

How much does it cost to claim for housing disrepair?

Submitting a claim can be an expensive undertaking. Though Legal Aid assistance is available for those situations that could endanger the well-being of your tenants, you may be eligible to acquire this support based on the magnitude of your case.

If Legal Aid is not available then you will need to cover the costs yourself, the cost varies depending on the court route you take. There are three court routes available, they are known as small claims, fast track and multi-track.

If you’re filing a claim for no more than £10,000 in compensation, then your case qualifies to be heard at small claims court. However, if the repairs are worth up to £1000 and damages also amount to under that sum then it can still be settled there. Alternatively, if your qualifications don’t make the cut for small claims court proceedings then you may have access to fast-track courts instead. And should you manage to win your case against landlord negligence or harm caused by them directly – they will even reimburse any costs incurred during litigation!

Court proceedings & fees can vary from case to case, our lawyers can tell you more about the fees that you will need to pay, call us on 0333 090 3068  to claim today.

Find out if you’re eligible to file a NO WIN, NO FEE disrepair claim today.

Our no win, no fee policy

It doesn’t matter whether your landlord is the local authority council or a housing association, if they fail to uphold their responsibility of ensuring that you are safe and comfortable in your home then you can sue them because of your poor living conditions which include damages for personal injury and we would generally look to file a personal injury claim at the same time.

We believe that everyone should be able to access reliable and professional assistance with their housing disrepair issues, this is why we work on a no-win, no-fee basis however we can not assist you if you are a private tenant, you still have rights and we would advise you to review the tenant act before you instruct legal action or seek advice from a firm that caters for private tenants with the legal costs covered on a no win no fee basis.

This means that if you lose your case, you won’t be charged legal costs for our services. You won’t need to pay any up-front costs, instead, if your case is successful the payment will simply be deducted from the compensation that you receive.  A ‘no win no fee basis, is formally known as a conditional fee agreement. We are regulated by the solicitors regulation authority, we are not middlemen nor are we a claims management company so by working with us directly you will receive the best possible service.

How much compensation can you get for housing disrepair?

The compensation awarded for housing disrepair claims varies from case to case. Compensation is calculated based on several factors including:

  • How much your rent costs
  • The severity of the disrepair
  • How long the issues have persisted since you informed your landlord

In some cases, if your property is completely uninhabitable, you could be awarded 100% of the cost of your rent for the duration of time that the issue has persisted, however, this is unusual. Generally, you can expect to receive between 25% to 50% of your rent in compensation.

Frequently asked questions

If your home is in disrepair in walsall, you may be eligible for compensation. Depending on the severity of the problem and length of time it has been going on, tenants could receive between 25 – 50% back from their paid rent! Our legal team can give you a better estimate if this sounds like something that might apply to you – reach out to us now learn more.

Absolutely! Mould can inflict a plethora of problems, from ruining your possessions to causing serious health issues. If the mould in your rental property is due to an inadequate repair job, then you are entitled to seek financial compensation for disrepair. Our housing disrepair lawyers possess the expertise and resources necessary to help you get justice through legal action and receive what’s rightfully yours.

Before filling a claim against your landlord, make sure to observe the disrepair protocol thoroughly. This sequence of actions consists of trying Alternative Dispute Resolution first, then directing an official notification letter to your landlord and waiting for their response in due time. It is very critical that you stick to this process precisely – our housing solicitors are here to guarantee all pre-court proceedings for any potential lawsuit are done properly.

Absolutely, you can take legal action against your landlord if they have disregarded damp issues that create unhealthy housing conditions in the property. For example, when the mold has caused damage to items of yours or drastically altered your lifestyle, and even made you feel unwell.